Sunday, December 31, 2017

Personal Timelines

January 1st is More Than a Start to a New Year


Dear Readers,

I live my own personal timelines. Some of them are linear and others are cyclic.

For example, I consider the school year, which for me is September-June. I also consider the calendar year, which is January-December. I am sure most people can relate to those.

However, there is another timeline that I also live by. I would consider it my "social-emotional" timeline. This one is very much cyclical.

For me it starts in June. It is a difficult month.

  • Father's Day
  • Dad's Birthday
  • My Birthday
  • Last School of School

Then I head into July-September which are pretty good months for the most part. It is summer vacation, I get to catch up on reading and then we head back to school. Football season is under way and the fall is upon us.

However, then I head into October-December. These are probably four of the most difficult months of the year for me.

  • October 26th (my dad's anniversary)
  • October 31st (Halloween-my favorite holiday)
  • November-Thanksgiving
  • December 24th-Christmas Eve
  • December 25th-Christmas Day

Throughout those months I must deal with holiday music, holiday shopping, holiday traditions, holiday gatherings, etc. Sometimes it feels like the time of year that never ends. There are moments when I am like, "How can it possibly be this time of year again? Weren't we just here?"

It always passes as I know it will and January 1st comes with a sense of relief. I know I have been strong and made it through the holidays. I look forward to 5 months that are relatively void of painful memories.

Now, some of you may think I am trapped in this timeline, but I view it very differently. I know that I am going to have mixed feelings during the holidays and sometimes I will be happy and other times sad. There will be times I need support from those I love and times I just need to be alone. I have moments where I can crank the holiday music and sing along and others where I blast hip-hop because I cannot stand to hear another carol.

I am not sidelined because I am so intuitive to my own emotions, feelings and needs. I have skills and strategies to help me through the difficult times.

As I was thinking and reflecting tonight, it made me ponder.........do we ever consider this when working with students? Do we ever look at social emotional behavior as a progression or timeline for that student? Are students given skills and strategies to cope with those difficult months, weeks, days, etc. that they face?

May you all have an amazing New Year and a wonderful start back to school. Remember, just as some students dread vacation, some are elated to come back!

Happy New Year!

Warmly,
Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment