Monday, August 6, 2018

Building Reading Lives: Speed Book Browsing

Dear Readers,

As I think about heading back to school and planning for the first few weeks, one of my top priorities is how we will build our reading lives as a classroom community. Instead of writing one blog with many activities, I thought I would break it up and offer some of my favorites throughout the week. 

Speed Book Browsing

In the past, I have done a speed book browsing activity that I had seen many of my PLN members do. 

  • I take all the books (or as many as I can) from the book corner and put them in baskets according to genre. 
  • Then I label the baskets and set them up in different areas of the room.
  • The students are divided into small groups and rotate from section to section. I put a timer on the board and play music. I use approximately one song per "round". Of course this can be adjusted if they need more or less time.
  • As they browse the books, they take their notebook with them and start to create a list of "Books I Would Like to Read". The idea is they will have some ideas for when they choose independent books.
  • At the end of class, they choose an independent reading book to begin the year.

 


Book Tastings

I have also seen Book Tastings where the room is set up like a restaurant. At the tables are books for the students to have a little "taste". This is a fantastic activity as you move through the school year because students can recommend books to one another.

Happy New School!

Warmly,
Teresa


No comments:

Post a Comment