Saturday, October 1, 2016

Caring About Ms. Gross

Students Showing Empathy


Dear Readers,

I have spent the past month building relationships and getting to know my students. Just a few of the activities we have connected through include:

  • Setting up our classroom.
  • Building our class playlist.
  • Recording a "Carpool Karaoke" episode.
  • Painting a "sign" for our browsing books collection.
  • Reading outside on the bleachers.
  • Tons of discussions and conversations.

I believe my work and modeling is paying off....

A few weeks ago, I was sick and unfortunately missed Open House. A 7th grade student in my Language and Literature class asked me the next day how my ears were feeling because she knew that was the problem. How kind of her, to come up to me in the hall to "check on me".

This past week, I had the "fall cold" and was extremely tired by Friday. My 1st period 7th grade intervention students were coming in and one of them approached my front lab table and sat down. She then leaned in and whispered, "Ms. Gross, are you alright?" I said, "Yes, why?" She said, "You sounded sad when you said hi to me this morning." I responded, "I am fine, just a little tired." Another student said, "I said hi, but you did not say hi back." Of course I apologized profusely.

What did I learn from this?

  • When we care about our students, they care about us.
  • When we model empathy, our students are empathetic.
  • When we greet students, they notice if we do not.
  • When students know us well, they can sense when something does not seem right.

I thank my students for caring about me and making me feel so loved.

Warmly,
Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment