Saturday, June 17, 2017

A Few Bumps Along the Way

Every Challenge Makes Us Stronger


Dear Readers,

It has been a tough week. My dad's birthday was last Monday and tomorrow is Father's Day. Even though he has been gone for over 11 years now, it is still a difficult month.  I remember meeting a woman once who had lost her daughter to suicide. She said that she gave herself permission to cry and feel sad when she needed it. In the beginning it was daily and over time decreased. Not being one to show my emotions publicly, that has always stayed in the back of my mind. It is normal to have sad moments and let ourselves feel them. I have definitely had my moments this week where I have taken that advice to heart.

I have always believed that people are sent into our lives for a reason. This morning I was putting groceries in the car and someone paid me the nicest compliment. Not long after that, someone gifted me with a random act of kindness. It was like they knew it was a tough weekend for me and I needed a little "pick me up". Isn't it funny how things happen when you need them?

My life has been filled with highs and lows, positives and negatives, traumas and triumphs. However, I believe everything that has happened to me has made me who I am today. I live very much in the present, I try not to dwell in the past, nor do I look too far forward into the future. It allows me to really live in the moment.  In Teach Like a Pirate by Dave Burgess, the "I" in PIRATE stands for "Immersion". On page 14 it states, "Your ability to completely give yourself up to the moment and fully "be" with your students is an awesome and unmistakably powerful technique." 

Transitions can be difficult for me, including ending the school year and heading into summer. However, fortunately my birthday is at the end of the month and always something to look forward to. Additionally, I have planned a big vacation this summer which is completely uncharacteristic of me, but it is a milestone birthday so why not? I also have work days already incorporated into my schedule. Going into the summer with a plan is essential for me. Especially those first few weeks off.

Some of my students have commented this week that they do not want school to end. I know it is for different reasons. Some like the structure and routine of school, some are very involved in the school environment (music, sports, clubs, friends, etc.) while others face uncertainty. Some see school as a safe haven. It is where they feel cared for, safe and loved.

While we celebrate the end of another fantastic year and look forward to sunny, hot, lazy days, let us not forget those who will be counting down the days to September.

I wish all of my students a relaxing and restful summer. May they all feel safe, cared for and loved. I hope they know how much I will miss them and look forward to seeing them in the fall.

Warmly,
Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment