Design Thinking and Gamification: Part 1Dear Readers,
In anticipation of #LAUNCHBOOK discussions coming in July, I have been reading, taking notes and preparing our guiding questions. As I started learning about the specific phases of the cycle, I challenged myself to take an idea through the LAUNCH Cycle. Although I have not finished the book yet, I was anxious to share the connections I have made so far!
I decided to use my Gamification implementation as my design idea.
L=Look, Listen and Learn
- Audience: my intervention students (7th-8th grade)
- Awareness: students love gaming
- Observation: listening and talking with students
- Wonder: What makes you keep going back to the game, trying over and over again?
- Awareness of Issue: students need to be engaged and they love gaming so how can we bridge the gap between learning and their worlds/interests
- Empathy: I personally did not like school as a child, there was no connection for me
- Problem: many students are dis-engaged because they do not connect to the learning, there is lack of ownership
- Product Idea: Classroom Game Board with challenges
- Geeky Interest: Explore Like a Pirate
A= Ask Tons of Questions
- What do the worlds look like?
- How do they change?
- What characters are there?
- Can you design them?
- Can you name them?
- What games do you play?
- What is the goal of the game?
- Do you earn rewards?
- What are they?
- How do they help you?
- Can you lose them?
- Can you earn them back?
- What happens if your character dies?
- Does the game get harder as you increase levels?
- What keeps you going back?
- Who do you play against?
- Are the games online?
- What if someone is mean to other players?
- How often do you play?
- What if you could create your own world?
- What if you could create your own characters?
U=Understand the Information
- Audience Research: my students
- Skill-Based Research: elements of gaming
- read Explore Like a Pirate
- engaged in twitter chats/individual conversations
- Interviewed Students
Now, I head into Navigating Ideas. I hope you look forward to reading part 2!
H=Highlight and Fix
LAUNCH to an audience!
I hope you will join us for our 1st chat on Sunday July 10th.