Tuesday, January 24, 2017

But What's the Surprise Ms. Gross????

If You Want It, You Have to Find It


Dear Readers,

We just ended our 2nd quarter, 1st semester and half of the 2016-2017 school year. My 7th graders have been working hard! They reached their goal of reading at least 96 books by January 20th. I am proud to say they passed their goal!

As a celebration, I told them we would have a treat on Friday. I bought mini-cupcakes and hid them behind my desk area. 

As soon as one student walked in, he wanted to know what the surprise was. I made them wait until we had about 10 minutes left in the period. The twist was, they had to find it.

I called a couple of them individually to go look, but nobody was anywhere NEAR the cupcakes. Then I just let them go at it. As I watched them, I just felt happy.

I was happy to be there in that moment in time.
I was happy to be their teacher and get to touch their lives every day.
I was happy to see them running around excited about a surprise.
I was happy that they all had smiles on their faces.
I was happy they were working together to find the surprise.
I was happy when a student triumphantly produced the surprise from the hiding spot.

When I think of LaVonna Roth and her S.H.I.N.E. message, the "I" for Inspire always brings my students to mind. I am inspired by them every day.

I am inspired to teach them to the best of my ability.
I am inspired by what they teach me. 
I am inspired by what they will bring to the future.
I am inspired by their thoughtfulness.

My "life word" is believe. I try to model this every day for my students.

I believe they can do anything they set their minds to.
I believe they will become empathetic, global citizens.
I believe that things happen for a reason, even if we do not understand at first.
I believe that they look to me as a role model and take cues from me as their teacher.
I believe in each and every one of them.

I love my job. I hope that you experience as much joy being an educator as I do.

Warmly,
Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment