Sunday, January 1, 2017

Take Time to Chase the Snowflakes

Positive Perspectives for 2017


Dear Readers,

While some may find it difficult to transition into January after the holiday hustle and bustle, I welcome it with open arms. January 1st is one of my favorite days and it is not because it is entering a new year. The anxiety that I live with from October-December is finally lifted. 

Although the holidays are seen, by most, as a time of gathering family and friends, participating in traditions and celebrations, it is an extremely difficult time of year for me. I surround myself with positivity and people who care about me. This year, my PLN was beyond amazing in supporting, encouraging and being by my side throughout those difficult months. It helped me to keep a positive perspective during a difficult time of year.

Love my Picture Books!

There is a picture book I always think of at this time of year, The After-Christmas TreeWhen I worked with elementary level students, I used this text upon return from the holiday break. In the book, winter is celebrated and the tree is given a second use. It was always a nice transition back into school and gave a positive perspective to this "post-holiday" time which can cause some students (and adults) to feel a little down. 


Another favorite winter picture book is Snowmen at Night. It takes you into the magical world of the lives of snowmen. It is a fantastic read aloud that leads to endless possibilities in reading, writing, speaking, listening, vocabulary, etc. The students loved the possibility of what could be if snowmen really did come out to play at night. How fun to think through the eyes of a snowman!


A final recommendation is The Wild Toboggan Ride. Hilarious toboggan story that causes grandpa's perspective on winter to change. In addition, it includes community helpers and use of figurative language. 



Trees? Snowmen? Toboggan Rides? Oh My!

Heading into the new year, may you all think about how to turn a positive into a negative, may you all find the magic of the winter season and may you all find your inner child and go where life takes you.

Warmly,
Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment