Dr. Richard DuFour had a powerful impact on my thinking as an educator when I saw him speak at a Solution Tree PLC Summit in Ottawa, Canada. He inspired me, he challenged my thinking and he gave me a different perspective from which to view my role and life as an educator.
I am so honored to co-moderate and participate in a book study highlighting In Praise of American Educators: And How They Can Become Even Better.
A sincere thank you to Ken Williams (@unfoldthesoul), Dr. Rosa Perez-Isiah (@RosaIsiah) and Jace (@inspire0818) who have given their time, support and collaboration over the past month. I look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow as we begin our conversation!
Questions for Sunday July 23rd:
1. What has been the trend in the way the media has reported on the state of American education since 2002?
2. How can new legislation, media headlines, evaluation systems, etc. negatively impact a person's mental health?
3. "No generation of American educators has ever accomplished what our teachers and administrators are achieving today." (pg. 15) Reflect on this quote. What evidence is there to support it?
4. What are advantages and disadvantages of charter schools? Vouchers?
5. Creating competition through the use of charter schools, vouchers, testing, evaluations, merit pay and closing low performing schools result in consequences whether they be positive, negative or neutral. Share your thoughts or reflections on these practices.
6. How have reforms such as NCLB or RTTT impacted our current state of education?