Sunday, November 5, 2017

Hooked at First Event

EdCampFLX


Dear Readers,

I was fortunate to attend my first EdCamp this past weekend. It was held at Canandaigua Middle School and it did not disappoint! A huge shout out to the staff who not only organized and ran the day, but to those who opened their classrooms to the participants. Thank you for allowing us into your school and rooms.

I have expressed my gratitude and appreciation for my #CoffeeEDU Group here in Rochester, NY. One of those members who has become more than a colleague in the profession, but a friend, is Katie McFarland (@Katiemc827). She is an amazing person who is always full of positive energy and fantastic ideas. Thank you for the incredible event you helped put together.

Wondering what an EdCamp is like if you have never been? Here is how my day progressed.....

  • Woke up, started thinking of sessions I wanted to propose and texted Katie about 5 different ideas. (Which she graciously responded to with enthusiasm.)
  • Was greeted at the front door by an incredibly warm and friendly Steve Holmes (@kylelaurie), administrator in the district. I was promptly asked to fill out a raffle ticket, shown where to grab some swag and was shown into the library.
  • There was food, coffee, water and post-it notes everywhere! We were encouraged to start filling out the session board.
  • After a warm and welcoming hello and good morning, we were given time to start filling in the sessions. It was quite entertaining watching the sessions fill up. It was quick, efficient and organized!
  • Sessions started promptly at 9:00. I was so very lucky to moderate #BookCampPd from the library. I had a lovely group of people who were ready and willing to learn about Twitter and chats. I had a blast!
  • Session 2 started at 10:00 and I was provided a very informative introduction to FlipGrid by another #CoffeeEdu member, Jason Cring (@iliketech). Thank you for helping me create an account!
  • Session 3 started at 11:00 and I spent 50 minutes in heaven discussing Young Adult Literature.
  • We then gathered back in the library for the raffling off of door prizes.

My Take-Aways:

  • It was truly a personalized professional development. I loved being able to put my wish list up on the board.
  • It was a collaborative, warm and inviting environment. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting everyone.
  • Since it was on a weekend, the people who attended sincerely want to be there to learn with others.

I am hooked and cannot wait for the next one! I hope you attend one near you!

Warmly,
Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment