Sunday, October 29, 2017

Halloween Memories

Costumes, Cousins & Candy


Dear Readers,

A Jerry Seinfeld clip regarding Halloween in the 80's prompted me to write this post. Boy how times have changed.

Halloween was always one of my favorite holidays. It was one of my favorite holidays with my dad who passed away 12 years ago this past Thursday. Every year is bitter sweet for me.

I have fond memories of.....

  • My cousins coming over to trick or treat.
  • Getting a family picture on the front steps.
  • My mom buying cider and donuts.
  • Wearing my witch costume that won me 1st prize at the local Fire Department Parade. (I saved that $5 for a LONG time!)
  • Dressing up early to go to the grandparents house.
  • Walking around the neighborhood with my dad while mom stayed home and handed out candy.
  • Knowing which houses gave out the "good" candy and the "large candy bars".
  • Dumping our bags of "loot" out on the living room floor and exchanging with each other.
  • Hoping my mom had candy left over from trick or treaters because she always bought the good kind.
  • It being dark early so it was spooky when we walked around the neighborhood.

Then I have other memories of Halloween. Jerry Seinfeld reminded me of some of those......

  • The plastic costume that tied around the neck and ripped almost as soon as you put them on.
  • The plastic masks that were stapled together and cut into your face.
  • Living in NY where it was either warm or freezing cold. You might trick or treat in 70 degree weather or sludge through snow, possibly sleet or rain depending on the year.
  • Trying to fit costumes OVER the jacket you were being forced to wear because it was too cold to go without it. Or even worse, having to cover your costume with the jacket. Then nobody knew who you were.
  • The make-up. I once had my face painted entirely green with a fake nose and wart to go as a witch. Better yet, having to replicate it for the elementary school parade.
  • Having so many props such as the wig, hat and broom when dressed as a witch. Having to carry that while holding a trick or treat bag.
  • Having a reaction to all the make-up (sensitive skin just doesn't go together with green costume face paint).
  • Having to take my younger brother trick or treating who, by the way, never listened to me and wandered off frequently.
  • Trying to stand on the "porch" with about 15 other kids crowded around you.
  • Trying not to get hit by the door as the resident opened it to hand out candy. (Or fall off the porch.)
  • If you were the last one in line, having to run to catch up to your group. (Fun when it was dark and you couldn't see anyone.)
  • Having someone in the group who was "tired of walking and wanted to go back" while you were ready to push ahead to as many houses as possible!

The joyful memories of childhood. May you all (if you celebrate) have a spooky and treat-filled Halloween!

Warmly,
Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment