Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Grieving the Loss of Imagination

You Cannot Survive on Leaves!


Dear Readers,

I have an incredible imagination. Growing up I played the violin for about 15 years. I always knew my "musical" side existed. It served me well as I went into speech language therapy and then reading. To this day, music is an extremely important part of my life. I definitely have an eclectic mix on my playlist, but I would have to admit hip-hop is a huge love of mine. 

It wasn't until recently that I dove even deeper into creative me.

Over the past few years I have really broken out my innovative self. One of the biggest surprises has been sketchnoting. I found a way to put what is in my head into a visual form for others to see! I have created lessons I never would have thought possible. I have a knack for looking at something and making it come to life.

Despite this, it was with great hesitation that I jumped into the world of Gamification. 

"I am never going to be able to do that. I am not a gamer. I am way outside my element." 

Much to my surprise, I am able to do it, I do think like a gamer and it is not so much outside my element as I originally thought. In fact, I have a knack for connecting and coding everything.

However, much to my bewilderment, my students are struggling with this concept of gamifying curriculum. 

When I started the actual "Gamification" part after the Break-Out Box, most of my class has pushed back against the entire approach. It made me pause and think.......

  • Did I ask them if they wanted to participate?
  • Did I ask them if they wanted to continue after experiencing the break out box?

The response to both questions was yes! I have continuously asked if they want to continue. Then I thought....

  • Did I explain the expectations and procedures of the game?
  • Did I connect it to our current unit?

The response to both of those questions is also yes. 

In addition, I have mentioned multiple times that I have never been on this journey before and it is new for me as well. We are experiencing it together and I do not always know where the end is going to be. My hope was to model risk-taking and making it safe for them to not know everything because I did not know it all either! 

I even thought it was a double bonus when I mis-coded something right in front of them because it showed that we all make mistakes, it's not the end of the world and we move forward from them.

Then my thinking went to the more practical side.

  • Did I create an inviting world?
  • Did I use a theme they would all be familiar with?
  • Did I make that theme come to life to the best of my ability?

Prior to the start of the unit we watched part of the City of Ember and they were 100% engaged in the world, the concept, the puzzles, the mystery and the intrigue. They were excited about starting, watching the world emerge as I created it and they contributed to it. What I was seeing and hearing was excitement and anticipation.

Yesterday was a particular difficult day. I had to sit down and REALLY, thoughtfully reflect on that class and decisions I was making about whether to continue forward or take a step back. Just like it is not for all adults, perhaps it is not for all students either.

As I broke down the events of the past couple of weeks what I realized was.....

  • When the tasks or challenges were within their comfort zones, the kids did really well. They collaborated and were able to continue.
  • When the tasks and challenges were outside their comfort zones, they struggled. Their communication broke down while some forged ahead and others did not. 

It made me wonder........what happens that allows our students to lose their sense of creativity and imagination? 

  • Are they fearful of something new and different?
  • Are the exhibiting more of a fixed than a growth mindset?
  • Have they lost their ability to be creative and imaginative?
  • Are they afraid to take risks?

These questions created even more......

  • Do they have problem solving skills? 
  • Do they have collaborative skills?
  • Do they have verbal skills?
  • Do they have the ability to think outside the box and think differently?
  • Do they have the ability to adapt to new situations?
  • Do they have the ability to ask questions for clarification?

I thought the "Gaming" part would be a comfort level for them. 

I have made a difficult decision to discontinue the Gamification in my 8th grade Language and Literature Class. I think I missed the mark and it might not be the Gamification, but the skills and strategies needed to participate such as risk-taking, collaboration, etc. Although for some groups these might be able to be taught and practiced through Gamification itself, I think this group needs that practice prior to jumping into those tasks and challenges. 

Their reflections were tremendously eye-opening as well. As I look at the big picture, I feel it's the best decision for us.

However, I am not ready to give up yet! Now that I have started on this journey, I want to continue. My intervention classes have shown immense interest in the Break-Out Box and the Gaming Board. I am going to introduce it to them and see if they would like to proceed with me. I think I see an informal Action Research Project developing!

Sometimes, as adults, when we are faced with something so incredibly outside the norm, it can be difficult to wrap our heads around and we may step back in defense out of fear, out of the unknown, out of not wanting to look "dumb" for lack of a better word. 

I want to thank my students for an incredible journey into the world of Gamification. I have found a new love of instruction! 

Please continue to follow my adventures, they are not over yet!

Warmly,
Teresa 

No comments:

Post a Comment