Sunday, December 3, 2017

My Gamification "AHA" Moment

The Forgotten Instructions


Dear Readers,

As many of you know, I am currently on a Gamification adventure in my 8th grade Language & Literature Class. I introduced it through a Break-Out Edu before Thanksgiving break and am continuing it into December and January.

Last week when I integrated the game into normal instruction, I had a tremendous "AHA" moment! Although I had hung up materials and explained the theme, I never really explained the GAME.

After some reflection, I took some time on Friday to talk through the following:

  • What is Gamification?
  • How is it integrated into the curriculum?
  • Who are the characters of the game?
  • What is the theme and setting of the game?
  • What do the symbols mean? How do we use them?
  • What do the badges represent? How can we earn them?

I then went on to facilitate a guided practice. I did the following:

  • Showed them how to "read" the clues. 
  • How to follow the clues.
  • How to work together and collaborate in solving the clues.

Probably the most meaningful part of the guided practice was my mistake. I continue to share with them that I have never done this before, I am learning with them and do not always know where I am going to end up. I realized I had coded something incorrectly. I said, "Oh no! I made a mistake!" I explained to them what I did wrong and fixed it in front of them. By taking a step back, we all learned some important lessons!

Heading into this week, we are learning about Nonfiction Text Genres and I have the following planned:

  • Break-Out using my "room" as the box.
  • Book Tasting where they will each create a placemat teaching others about their particular nonfiction genre.
  • A special guest speaker.
  • A blogging session.

I hope you are as excited about your week as I am! #CelebrateMonday and Trend the Positive!

Warmly,
Teresa 

No comments:

Post a Comment